Language of Lines
I’ve been drawing ever since I could hold a pencil. The pencil pierces through the Taiwanese and American me.
The lines I work with represent my language. Because I’m multilingual, I know the same word or phrase can’t be translated exactly. Making art is like meditating through the brush. I put down the first line and follow it as a thought, allowing it to grow organically. I attempt to capture and reveal the inner beauty of rhythm and movement that is observed from my surrounding. It can be the lines on the tree trunk or details on a rock or aerial view of the earth.
The materials that i incorporate into my paintings are the hidden issues in my work. They consist of seeds, junk mail and wrappers or plastic bags, curated for their color and purpose. These are normally things we overlook in our lives but have inherent beauty once taken out of context.
I like to build up my paintings in layers because I believe the background is equally important. The paintings are abstract thoughts emerging through the layers. I leave it up to the viewer to feel the rest.
Sophia Lee was born in Taipei and immigrated to Southern California at age 9. Growing up, she moves between both places keeping up languages and cultures. She first studied fashion design then painting at art center in pasadena. The following years, she’s lived and worked in New York City, LA, taipei, Portland, and now San Francisco. Her dream is to travel the world and make art. After a decade away from making art, she returned to painting in her travels. Her first solo exhibit was held in taipei in 2007. She also participated in group shows in LA, Portland and SF. She works in acrylics and encaustics and anything else that she collects from her walks through the city. She’s currently an artist at the journal building residency program.
email: [email protected]
- 11.2007 arabesque (solo),
- 01.2008 wild east art show (group),
- 12.2008 winter group show (sopa gallery),
south pasadena, ca
- 12.2008 alley cat year book project (group)
- 05.2009 sopa group show
sopa gallery, south pasadena, ca
- 09.2009 artist beat the flood (group),
auction to benefit for typhoon victims.
lili cafe gallery, taipei taiwan
- 03.2010 sopa featured artist (group),
south pasadena, ca
- 10.2010 south pasadena art walk (group)
in sopa gallery, ca
- 05.2011 26th annual juried mail-in art show,
margaret harwell museum,
poplar bluff mo
- 06.2011 6x6x2011: global
rochester contemporary art center,
- 07.2011 coloring outside the lines (finalist),
art scene today, online exhibit
- 09.2011 hundred valley exhibit (finalist),
- 11.2011 peripheral (solo),
pearl framing & art gallery
- 06.2012 residency program, invited:
raghurajpur international art/craft exchange
- 04.2013 newport beach regional art exhibit (group)
newport beach, ca
- 08.2013 art on display, royal sonesta
- 11.2013 women in art (group show)
las laguna gallery
laguna beach, ca
- 02.2016 mfa never,
root division, san francisco, ca (catalogue)
- 04.2016 road trip, (group)
gallery underground, arlington, va
- 06.2016 newport beach art exhibit, (group)
newport beach, ca
- 07.2016 joined journal building residency
san francisco, ca
- 10.1.2016 HUB exhibit at Table Asia Gallery (group)
- 10.1.2016 HUB exhibit at Farley Cafe (group)
- 10.22/23.2016 SF Open Studios (journal building residency)
- 12.2016-9.2017 Art-in-Neighborhood, Hotel Adagio, Mosser Hotel, Marker Hotel, Hotel Triton
- 10.2017 SF open studio Hub exhibit, Hotel Triton
- 11.2017 SF Openstudio weekend 4. Journal Building Artist Residency
Portfolio available upon request, please contact me for more information.